Today’s Friday Frazzle is in honor of baseball season! I know. I know. I recently posted about how less than excited I am about the upcoming season. BUT I am also ALL things food, and now that practice schedules have been released for the week, my calendar looks like Honeybee attacked it with her finger paints. That means it’s time to get back to my “quick and out the door” meals for practice and game nights. I have NO problem with that!
Below are are meals that my family makes or have had made for us to ensure we get out the door quickly on those nights practice and game times are looming.
The kids give them thumbs up and we hope you do, too!
Oh, and I am ALWAYS looking for yummy recipes. Feel free to leave a few of your own!
1. Walking Tacos. Oh my goodness! So, can you believe that I had absolutely NO idea about these things until about four months ago!? One of our great neighbor friends was talking to me about getting these ready for her family to eat as they were on their way to the game. I asked what they were and once told, RAN with it! Oh my gosh! The kids love them. S. not so much, but only because of the messiness potential. These are able to be made in less than 15 minutes if you have toppings already prepped). Trust me, you want this. I’m linking to a formal “recipe” via Kitchme, but seriously it’s not needed. Just gently crush a bag of Frito-Lay’s or Doritos (not tiny granules), open the bag and add cooked ground beef (seasoned with taco seasoning), lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced cheese, sour cream, and any other topping you’d like on your taco. I’m telling you. These things are super yummy, filling, and QUICK. [Time 20 min; 10 for browning meat]
2. Sloppy Joe. So, sloppy joes have to be one of my favorite quick dinner recipes. When I was a little girl, I loved coming home to Sloppy Joe evenings. I didn’t have them often, but when I did I absolutely loved them. No, my grandmother tended to cheat and just use the Manwich can. I’ve done so too when we are in a pinch. BUT there is the ability to make them yourself with a yummy sauce all your own. I’ve linked a recipe pretty close to what we use when we make our own. The only reason I don’t have my own written is because mine changes every time. 🙂 Gotta love that! [Time 20 min; 10 for browning meat]
3. Chili Cheese Hotdogs. Hands down! One of my favorites! Nothing fancy about this. You can make your own chili with ground beef and chili beans or you can do what I do…a can of Hotdog Chili with some super yummy Ball Park Beef Hotdogs. Add some shredded cheese, a few chips, and you are in for a quick and yummy meal [10 minutes for heating the chili].
|A pic from one of the many times these have graced our table. Notice the little one for the little people.
4. Meatball Subs. Oh my! So, I make these fairly often in the Spring and Summer. I actually make an extra dozen so that I can freeze them and reheat later. These are a definite favorite and have made appearances at practices, games, watch parties, birthday parties, you name it, they’ve been there! Click on the link for this awesome recipe from Home Cooking Memories.com that I use as a pretty great standard. You can easily make your own meatballs in advance, freeze them, and use them at will. I typically go the frozen meatballs from Walmart way. Oh and here’s a neat cheat~ line the buns with provolone and broil them for about 1-2 minutes, then scoop in the meatballs before the oven bake. They keep the bottom from getting soggy. Happy eating! [Time Cook 20-25 min; 15 for baking sandwich)
5. Pasta. Look, I know we all have the fancy, hours long meat sauce and authentic spaghetti recipes at home. This isn’t that! When you have to get out the house ASAP, some times a good jar sauce and pasta is your go to. There are two quick ones that are known to make an appearance on our table…especially on nights where we have Bible study or rehearsals at the church. We get in, eat, and get out.
- Spaghetti and Meatballs (Quick version). This one is an easy. Cook your pasta noodles according to package directions (usually 7 minutes). Add your favorite jarred sauce and heated frozen meatballs (a reason to make a big batch when I’m doing meatball subs). Warm through, add some shredded mozzarella or Parmesan and you’re done! [Time Cook 15 min]
- Creamy Garlic Pasta. When you’re in a tighter pinch, use refrigerator noodles! I’m a fan of Bertolli’s refrigerated noodles and I use them fairly frequently when I’m in a rush. This recipe is a favorite of mine and is done in well less than 20 minutes!
6. Frozen Pizza. So, when in doubt and running….pop a pizza in and run. Frozen pizzas can go from freezer to preheated oven in no time, and a hot meal is available in 20 minutes or less (depending on the brand and your oven). I’m a fan of Red Baron, but the kids also love the extra large store brands from Walmart and Giant with mozzarella sticks on the side.
So there you go! These are just a few of our favorite go to meals that get us out the door in 20 minutes or less. Hope they’ve been a help to you and we’ll see you next Friday with a new Frazzle! Have an awesome day!