family Weekend Recap

My Big Fat Laid Back Weekend Recap

I have often enjoyed reading the blogs of moms and professional bloggers who share what that particular day looks like for them.  This weekend, because it was scheduled to be super cold and murky (alas, it really wasn’t), I decided that I’d capture what our weekend looked like.  Again, it was pretty boring thanks to the colder temps outside, but I hope you enjoy the read.

I posted in our Valentine’s recap that Bug has been dealing with a nasty case of the flu and has been under strict quarantine.  Prior to his getting sick, Mr. Bug decided to play catch inside the garage (a no-no) and accidentally broke a garage light and disengaged the garage door opener.  👀  He didn’t tell us what happened and we found out when we couldn’t enter the garage that evening.

You can see the bracket is totally disengaged from the ceiling.


Thanks to our neighbors for the use of their ladder!

Friday night, S. and I went borrowed a taller ladder from one of my dear neighbor friends and went to work drilling new screw and washers to hold the disengaged side in place.  We then manually reset the garage chain, then reset it automatically.  Two test runs later and the garage was back in order, with a new light to boot!  Great job, S.!

The Saturday morning sleep-in…

8:00 a.m.  The family awakes and breakfast is calling.

Saturday morning, S. woke me as Bug was not feeling well and was calling for me.  I gave him his medication while S. went downstairs to make breakfast for he and the kids.  I bought the meal back up to Bug and checked on him to make sure he was comfortable.  It was unfortunate for me, but the baby within was not comfortable with the odor of the breakfast S. made, so I had to make something completely different for myself.  No complaints though!  Everything stayed down and I enjoyed a really yummy meal.

9:00 a.m. Arts and Crafts with Mommy

After breakfast was eaten and chill clothes were donned, S. went downstairs to catch up on some of the recordings he’d missed during our busy week.  I went upstairs to figure out dinner options and a few minutes later was greeted by this lovely at my door.

Pulling out her crayons for Peppa Pig

Honeybee recently got a Peppa Pig activity set in one of her lunch meals and had been begging me to do it.  Since Peppa is one of her faves and she’s my artistic girl, I let her come in with me and we went over the activity sheets and coloring together.  It wasn’t a small book and she finished the entire thing!  It was a great learning tool, too.  We went over colors, opposites, hidden figures, and following directions.  It was such a good time with just she and I.  I should insert here that I’ve been trying to spend more separate one on one time with the girls since I know it’s going to be super hectic in a few months.  I don’t want them to feel left out, and Honeybee is my sensitive one.  Even though she has a very feisty spirit at times, she is definitely all heart and needs the assurance that she is loved. Her love language is definitely words of affirmation. I’m glad we were able to spend that time together.

10:12 a.m.  So, what are we doing for Sunday dinner?

Hmm, maybe pepper steak and rice?

After Honeybee was finished with her activity book, she asked if she could go her play area and watch television.  I allowed her to do so and while she enjoyed Mickey and the Roadsters, I decided to figure out what Sunday’s meal was going to be.  I caught a nice sale on NY strip steak this week and was wondering what to do with it.  I started playing around with sites and came across this page on Tasty.  This looked to be a great contender for Sunday dinner and I was fortunate to already have all the ingredients at the house.  Yay!!

11:00ish  Baby A. wants her cuddle time

All the cuddles with Mommy

In the midst of dinner planning, my door creaked open again and this time, baby A. walked in.  She wasted no time climbing into the bed and cuddling while I checked emails and organized dinner plans.  She stayed like that for about 15 minutes, just laying on the baby bump and then abruptly sat up to jump around the bed.

Yep, it’s a couple of weeks out, but his barber books QUICK!

While she jumped around, I was reminded that Bug would need a hair cut when things aired out, so I went online using the Booksy app and booked a haircut for Bug.  I’m pretty sure he is going to get the same cut as he currently has because he loves it so much.  It’s crazy to me that I’m even making appointments for him.  He’s getting so big.

Meanwhile, baby A. was still enjoying her game of “climb the pillows” when she suddenly stopped and signed “eat” to me.  Simultaneously, I heard Honeybee coming up the steps.  I guess it was lunch time.

12:15 p.m. Lunch Time

The kids all had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with grapes for lunch.  Because I’m trying to make sure I eat much healthier this pregnancy, with protein and vitamins, I had a turkey and cheese w/ dill pickles on cinnamon raisin toast.  I also had grapes and strawberries for my “sweets”.  I’ve been doing comparisons of the weight I gained with baby A. and the weight I’m gaining this time and I believe I’m doing much better.  I don’t mind gaining weight as long as I’m doing it healthily and with the baby in mind.  Last time I ate because I was pregnant.  This time, I’m eating to feed a healthy baby and a healthy body.  Hopefully, we’ll have a better result in the long run.

12:40 p.m. Quiet Time

After lunch, S. and I sent the kids to Quiet Time.  “Quiet Time” means the kids can take a nap or play quietly in their rooms, (most of the time, they choose to take a nap).  S. and I may do the same or we will catch up on some other items in the house.  I chose to clean while the kids and S. rested.

2:00 p.m. Snack Time

Everyone woke up and the first thing they wanted was a snack.  Baby A. asked for oranges. I peeled a couple of Halos and the girls went to town on them!
5:30 p.m. Dinner Time

After sitting with the girls and having a pretend restaurant date (complete with make believe cookies), Honeybee mentioned being ready for dinner.  Not a problem.  I recreated some of our Valentine’s dinner and everyone had shrimp, rice, and green beans for dinner.
8:30 p.m.   Lights out for the littles!
It was time to go to bed for the littles.  We knew there was church the next day and wanted everyone rested.  So after hugs, kisses, and story time….they were out.
The Sunday mix-up….

7:10 a.m.  Rise and Shine!

S. got the kids up, minus baby A. who was waiting patiently in her crib, while I went downstairs to make breakfast. I forgot to take pictures, but made my sausage and cheddar scrambled eggs, french toast sticks, sausage patties, and bananas for the girls.
9:37 a.m.  Sunday School
We made it out the house close to on time where we had a great lesson at Sunday school.  The lesson was on Samuel and his being called by God while living with Eli.  It was a great lesson that carried over into church throughout the day.  After Sunday school was over, I ran to the bathroom for a quick visit (these preggo visits have increased) and took a couple of bathroom pics because I thought I looked HUGE!

1:40 p.m. Church service ends/Baby A. develops a fever.

Church ran long yesterday since we observed Holy Communion.  It was a beautiful service and I was even blessed to go in the back with the youth for youth church to see S. speak on “Knowing and Accepting your Calling”.  Simultaneously, there was a sermon in the main sanctuary reminding us that the ditch dug for enemies will trap you.  It was also a great sermon and I was pleased to glean some information and encouragement from it.
At the conclusion of the service, I went to hold baby A. who had been unusually quiet and noticed immediately that she was feverish.  Immediately, I thought “flu” as Bug was just coming around from the same.  I told S. and gathered the kids and left for home.  Once home, I checked her fever, gave her baby Motrin and let her rest.  I also monitored her throughout the evening while making plans to call the doctor immediately after they opened on Monday morning.
2:30 p.m.  Sunday Dinner prep

As soon as baby A. was settled, I seared the rib eye that I purchased, added some red and green peppers and tons of spices, followed the recipe that I pulled the night before (along with some slight modifications of my own), and dropped everything into the slow cooker.  
7:40 p.m.  Dinner is served.

Dinner was ready right on time as the NBA All Star Game was on and my family loves a good sporting event.  The pepper steak came out very good and I added it to a bed of rice.  (My admittance is I am not the best at preparing rice, but this time it came out pretty well).  I found the new sweet Hawaiian roll biscuits in our refrigerated section, so I was keen to try it.  Turns out they are a tad too sweet to me, but the rest of the family seemed to enjoy them.
I surprised everyone with apple pie a la mode for dessert and we sat down to watch the game and had a nice evening.
9:00 p.m.  Bed time
We let the kids stay up a bit past their bed time so that we could watch some of the game together.  Baby A. woke up and had a bit of dinner, and then went back to sleep.  The rest of the kids followed suit.  By 10 p.m., I was cleaning and joined everyone else for bed.  Perfect end to a really laid back weekend.

You may also like...


  1. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search…Its a good post..keep posting and update the information. Beauty Salons

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *